Google Pay™ – Frequently asked questions
Google Pay is easy and secure, contactless payment method in your Android phone. It allows you to add your Edenred card to a mobile device, in digital form. After adding the Edenred card (virtual card is also eligible), you can pay contactless with your phone, by holding it above the terminal reader.
At the moment you can add and use Edenred card with Google Pay. Please notice that the new Lunch and Recreational benefit cards (words “Lounas” or “Virike” written in the card) look very similar to Edenred card. However, unfortunately those cards cannot be added to Google Pay.
You can use Google Pay in any Android smartphones and tablets (Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, Google etc.) running Android Lollipop 5.0 or above. Your phone also needs to support NFC (Near Field Communication). To check for NFC, look for it in your phone’s settings.
Edenred does not charge you for using Google Pay.
You can add Edenred to Google Pay easily via MyEdenred application, only a few clicks needed and you are done! From the MyEdenred frontpage, tap the Google Pay -banner and click “add to Google Pay”, then follow the instructions.
Alternatively, you can add your card via Google Pay application:
- First, download Google Pay from Google Play™ Store and open the application.
- Tap ”Add card”.
- Scan your Edenred card or add the card details manually.
- Fill in rest of the information and check that all data is correct.
- Read and accept Google and Edenred Terms of Service.
- Select the way you want to verify your identity. Then wait for the verification code to arrive to the email you have provided in MyEdenred.
- Enter the confirmation code from your email.
- Your Edenred card is now ready to be used in Google Pay!
Nb! You will get the activation email to the same email address that you provided in MyEdenred application. If you don’t receive the email, change your email address in MyEdenred (profile – contact information), wait for 15 minutes and try again.
First of all, make sure you are adding an active Edenred card. Please find Edenred Userguide here. Moreover, check that you are connected to the internet.
If you are not receiving the activation email, please check the next part.
Other important things to check:
- your version of Android supports Google Pay (Lollipop 5.0 or above)
- all card data is correct
- card has not been expired or blocked
Check that your Edenred card has been activated in MyEdenred and that your email address is written correctly (profile /contact information) and verified. If you still are not receiving the email, change your email address in MyEdenred, verify the address, wait for 15min and then try again.
Paying with Google Pay
You can use Google Pay at all the locations belonging to Edenred merchant network, which are equipped with a contactless terminal reader (NFC). You can search our merchants here.
- Check that NFC is on (from settings) and simply unlock your phone. No need to open the app, if your Edenred card is set as a default card.
- Hold the back of your device near the contactless payment terminal and wait for the blue checkmark.
- Sign the receipt required by The Finnish Tax Authority.
First, check your settings that the NFC is on and that the merchant accepts contactless payments. If the transaction fails, open the Google Pay app and bring the device close to the reader again. Also, make sure that Google Pay is set as wallet by default in the settings of your phone.
Yes, receipt to be signed is printed out. However, if newest update is not done to payment terminal then receipt might not be printed out.
Payments limits are same as with Edenred card/Ticket Duo card. The Finnish tax authority defines the annual minimum and maximum payment limits for lunch benefit. Check the limits for this year here.
With Google Pay, your mobile is an additional instrument that allows you to use your lunch and recreational benefit. The legislation is still the same regardless for paying with Edenred card registered to Google Pay or for paying with a plastic card. E.g. receipt need to be signed, benefit is always personal and you can buy one lunch per 6 hours work period.
Yes, your card is safe. When you pay with Google Pay, the real number of your card is not given to the merchant. We use the number of the virtual account to protect your data.
After you have made a purchase, you will see payment confirmation with information about the place where the transaction was made and the name and details of the seller. Thanks to this, you can easily detect any suspicious transactions. If your phone is lost or stolen, you can block it immediately, wherever you are, secure it with a new password, or delete all personal details.
If your device is changed, you will need to add the Edenred card to Google Pay app again.
Before you dispose of your old phone, make sure the card has been removed from the old device. (Check below)
- Open the Google Pay app.
- Tap the card you want to remove.
- Select the menu at the top right of the screen, then tap Remove card.
- Go to payments.google.com
- Go to Payment methods tab
- Choose the card you want to remove (by clicking to remove and confirming)
By using Find My Device, you will find it and you can block it or delete all data. Remember to enable the locating functions on your device, this way you can check the location of your device and, if necessary, block access remotely. More information Google Account help
Device: for any issue related to your Android device, please contact Google.
Card: for any issue related to the registration of your Edenred card card or the Google Pay transactions, please contact our customer care.