1. Support
  2. Beneficiary
  3. Edenred card and making payments

I have lost my Edenred card, what do I do?

If your card is lost or stolen, contact your employer or us.

You can contact your employer or our customer service and we will close your card for you. However, ordering a new card is always done by your employer.

You can call us at 09 7594 2848 (lnf/mcf). Our up-to-date opening hours can be found here.

Please note that when your employer orders a new card to replace the lost one, the old card is automatically canceled. So you cannot use your old card even if it is found, neither can you use your employee benefits or other features before you've received your new card and activated it.