What do I do if the payment accidentally goes from the wrong side of the Edenred card?

If the payment is made from the wrong side of the Edenred card, i.e. from an incorrect employee benefit, do thefollowing:

  1. Take down the name of both the cardholder and their employer.
  2. Please contact Edenred's customer service using the contact form or by phone on 09 7594 2848. Our up-to-date opening hours can be found here.
  3. Report the information provided by your customer.

Edenred Customer Service will then make the necessary corrections.